Author: Pankaj Sharma
BHUBANESWAR: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) published a circular to all heads of affiliated schools to reduce weight of school bags and avoid homework. CBSE has also given suggestions to schools, Teachers and parents so that they can apply and the health problem of school kids due to heavy school bags can be resolved.
No More Bags and Homework for Classes I and II
“Heavier school bags are known to have adverse effects on health of growing children and if such bags are used for a prolonged period, the impact may well be irreversible. Young children whose spine is at a crucial stage of growth are the most susceptible ones to hazards such as back pain, muscle pain, shoulder pain, fatigue and in extreme cases the distortion of spinal cord or shoulders that may most plausibly be attributed to heavy school bags” Circular said.
Highlights of CBSE Circular
Suggestions for Schools:
- Encourage students to pack their bags on daily basis
- To check school bags randomly
- To provide safe drinking water to all so students don’t need to carry water bottles
- To design weekly timetable to achieve goal of required minimum textbooks
- No need to carry extra sportswear rather allowed for whole day
- Tasks related to projects and activities to be completed in school hours and not for homework.
- Textbooks for classes I to VIII should be light weighted
- No more homework and school bags for classes I and II
Suggestions for Teachers:
- May be counselled by principal and not to penalize students for not bringing textbooks
- May use alternative methods of teaching
- To use loose sheets for the workbooks
- May make pairs of kids so they can share their textbooks
Suggestions for Parents:
- Advised to check students bags on daily basis so they will not carry unnecessary school bags.
- School Bag should be tightly pack on back, not in hanging or uncomfortable position.
CBSE has given circular but it is to see how many schools will follow it quickly and what will be the result?
CBSE: No More Bags and Homework for Classes I and II is originally published at